Hyperpigmentation refers to the general category of skin disorders caused by the increased production of melanin (the natural substance responsible for giving the skin its color). Heightened melanin levels trigger a pigment change or darkening of the skin, which can detract from the skin’s overall appearance and youthful evenness. While many hyperpigmentation issues are hereditary, external factors such as acne, sun exposure, and certain medications/drugs can all contribute to, and exacerbate this condition.
There are a number of distinct issues stemming from skin pigmentation irregularities:
- Melasma: irregular patches of brown skin or dark spots frequently found on the forehead cheeks, upper lip and nose, and often caused by hormonal changes (i.e. during pregnancy)
- Vascular Dyschromia: sun-induced redness
- Nevus: birthmark
- Tan: results when excess melanin is produced as the body’s defense mechanism from the UV rays of the sun, resulting in a darkening of the skin
- Stain: brown or wine-colored skin discoloration
- Solar Lentigenes: sun spots/freckles
- Chloasma: liver spots
- Pigmented Lesions: skin spots that are brown or black (i.e. moles)
Now Offering 3D Before and After Imaging!
View Your Results During Consultation
At The Virginia Institute for Surgical Arts, located in Chantilly, Virginia, Dr. Trang Vo-Nguyen (Dr. V) is pleased to offer cutting edge treatment options aimed at addressing the root causes of hyperpigmentation and improving the overall condition and appearance of the skin:
- Fraxel® DUAL Laser Treatment: this non-ablative laser treatment utilizes patented fractional technology to target damaged or hyperpigmented skin with microscopic laser columns that penetrate deep into the skin. Fraxel® DUAL treats only a fraction of tissue at a time (leaving the surrounding tissue intact), which promotes rapid healing because it stimulates the body’s natural healing process to replace old, damaged, cells with healthy new skin cells.
- Fraxel® re:pair Laser Treatmetnt: a more aggressive option than Fraxel® DUAL, Fraxel® re:pair is an ablative laser treatment that penetrates deep below the surface of the skin, and harnesses the power of carbon dioxide laser beams to treat severe pigmentation problems and correct irregularities in skin tone and texture
- Chemical Peel (derma peeling, chemexfoliation): this minimally invasive skin rejuvenation treatment involves the use of chemical solutions to exfoliate and strip away the damaged, discolored, outermost layers of the skin (epidermis), in order to reveal smoother skin with a more evenly balanced texture and color.
- Clinical Strength Skincare Products: At the Virginia Institute Surgical Arts, we are pleased to offer our patients the mybody® skincare line, featuring medical grade skincare products that contain a proven balance of high quality ingredients. The mybody® products are uniquely formulated to target and treat problematic pigmentation issues while simultaneously enhancing the texture, tone, and overall health of the skin.
CONTACT THE VIRGINIA INSTITUTE FOR SURGICAL ARTS
The successful correction of pigmentation-related skin issues requires treatment by a skillful and experienced practitioner with a strong background in the field of medical aesthetics, such as Dr. Trang Thuy Vo-Nguyen (Dr. V). Dr. V has the background, experience, and clinical skill-set to create customized treatment plans that are designed to safely and effectively address these skin conditions at their source, resulting in fast, long-lasting results.
Dr. V is double board certified in the field of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and is committed to staying up to date with the latest developments in the ever-evolving field of skin rejuvenation treatments in order to provide her patients with the most efficacious skin enhancement procedures. If you are interested in learning more about the various treatment options to correct your hyperpigmentation and improve the overall condition of your skin, please contact The Virginia Institute for Surgical Arts today. We look forward to speaking with you, and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. V.
Please call 703-327-8200 or Click Here to Schedule a Consultation.